|The House of Fabergé is a jewellery firm founded in 1842 in St. Petersburg by Gustav Faberge. |
In 1885, the House of Fabergé was bestowed with the coveted title "Goldsmith by special appointment to the Imperial Crown", beginning an association with the Russian tsars.
In 1885, Tsar Alexander III commissioned the House of Fabergé to make an Easter egg as a gift for his wife, the Empress Maria Fedorovna.
|She was so delighted the tradition of the Tsar giving his Empress a surprise Easter egg by Carl Fabergé would continue until 1917. According to tradition, not even the Tsar knew what egg form they would take: the only stipulation was that each one should contain a surprise.|
The House of Fabergé completed 54 Imperial eggs. Of these, 43 have survived.
Purveyors to the Imperial and Royal Court were allowed to display the double-headed eagle .
|The Imperial Eggs brought the House of Faberge immediate international success. The company produced all types of jewellery, ornaments and tableware, with branches in Moscow, Kiev, Odessa and London. The House of Faberge became the largest jewellery manufacturer in Russia, producing over 150,000 pieces by the time of the October 1917 Revolution.|
|In 2007 Pallinghurst Resources LLP acquired Unilever’s global portfolio of trademarks, licenses and associated rights relating to the Fabergé brand name for $38 million. The assets were transferred to a new company, Fabergé Limited.|
In late 2007 it announced the company intended to restore Fabergé to its position as the leading purveyor of endearing personal possessions. It also announced the reunification of the Fabergé brand with the Fabergé family with Tatiana Fabergé and Sarah Fabergé, both great-granddaughters of Peter Carl Fabergé.